Thanks to modern implant based dentistry, dentists can now provide a new solution to the edentulous patient – immediate functionality, more stability and increased quality of life. Traditional dentures just can’t deliver the same attributes.
The All-on-Four procedure eliminates the frustrations and discomforts patients experience day to day with their dentures. Patients can return to the carefree dietary freedom they enjoyed with their natural teeth. This is accomplished by placing a prosthesis held solidly in place by four dental implants, hence the name “All-on-Four” procedure. This provides patients the comfort and security they are likely missing with removable dentures. This procedure also preserves bone in the jaw and can be done very quickly.
Traditional approaches to restoring a full arch of teeth quite often involves bone grafting, six or more implants and as much as 18 months of treatment. During the traditional method patients are often without teeth or dealing with poor fitting temporary dentures for a year or more. With the All-on-Four procedure, the patient only needs one or two appointments with the dentist. Information is gathered for a treatment plan (x-rays, impressions, photos etc.). The patient is then scheduled for implant surgery as well as any extractions that might be necessary. The titanium implants are placed so that the bone will grow around them and secure them in place (with only four implants, the surgery is far less invasive and lengthy). Once the implants are placed, the abutments are attached and the new replacement teeth will be fitted, adjusted and secured to the abutments within 24 hours.
* The patient will more than likely need to return for check-ups over the next several months. When the gums have fully healed and the implants are fused to the natural bone, new impressions will be taken and a final, permanent set of teeth will be placed. This will help ensure the longest life of the teeth and provide maximum support, esthetics, and function to the patient.
As you can see, there are many benefits to the All-on-Four denture.
- It is an attractive solution to patients wanting to get rid of the hassles of wearing their existing dentures as well as to people that will be in need of a full upper and/or lower denture due to failing teeth.
- The procedure only requires four dental implants per jaw to support a fully customized set of teeth.
- The entire process is completed while the patient is asleep and is relatively painless.
- It is a great solution that allows your patients to receive their full set of replacement teeth with minimal visits to the dentist and just 24 hours after surgery.
If you liked this article, you may also like Understanding Today’s Dental Milling Materials.