Millions of people lack some or all of their teeth. Resulting problems aren’t limited to poor appearance. Missing teeth make it difficult to chew food or even to speak. Muscles lose elasticity and the face begins to sag. The simple smile — a primary way to engage with others — may become impossible. Luckily, there are many ways to drastically improve your smile thanks to recent advances in dentures.
Over the years changes have been made to make dentures more cosmetically appealing. Dentures made 30 or 40 years ago looked unnatural and were uncomfortable. More and more patients are looking for something more in their dental prosthetic.
Some of the advances that improve both the fit and the appearance include:
- Life-like characterized denture base staining including over 20 different shades
- Anatomically correct anterior and posterior teeth in over 40 shades, including bleach shades and 20 different molds.
- Base materials that are more comfortable to wear.
Dentures can be fabricated as a full upper or lower or just to replace a couple of teeth.
Benefits of Dentures
- The main benefit of fully functioning set of teeth is that you will look and feel so much better.
- Dentures will provide your facial muscles with the support they need to prevent the signs of aging and facial sagging.
- With well fitting dentures, your ability to eat more of the foods you enjoy will increase.
- You will be able to enunciate your words better when missing teeth are replaced with dentures, especially the upper ones.
Did you know dentures should be replaced every 5 – 7 years? The gums and ridges of your mouth change over time. Dentures, on the other hand, stay the same. For that reason wearing the same dentures over the course of years — particularly ill-fitting ones — can cause ridges to shrink. Unfortunately, some of these changes in the mouth and gums will be irreversible, making it that much more difficult to create dentures that fit well in the future. That’s why it’s important to have an ongoing relationship with a doctor who can ensure your dentures are properly adjusted — and keeping you healthy.
Today’s dentures are comfortable and natural looking and will improve your appearance. You will find your winning smile once again!